Amli Residential gets approval for Old Town residential tower

Gregory Mutz and tower rendering (Credit: Amli Residential and Twitter)

City officials gave Amli Residential the go-ahead Thursday to build a 17-story tower in Old Town that will feature micro-apartments.

The Chicago developer has proposed building the 318-unit tower at 808 North Wells Street. As a transit-oriented development, the project would include just 16 on-site parking spaces.

The $75 million project also would include about 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.

The city’s Plan Commission approved the project Thursday.

About 80 percent of units would be studios, with the remaining 20 percent one- and two-bedrooms, according to city officials. Some 40 of the 318 planned units will be affordable.

Amli will pay $3 million to the city’s Neighborhood Opportunity Fund in exchange for being able to build a larger project.

The site at 808 North Wells Street was originally slated to house a 23-story condo building developed by Smithfield Properties, but that project stalled after Smithfield founder Bill Smith’s death in 2016.

The building is a couple blocks from where Chicago developer Cedar Street is building a 16-story addition to the Bush Temple of Music that also will include 129 micro-apartments.

Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in Real Estate

Share this story with your network.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Responses

Recent Stories

Del Marie: locked down, but not out

The rapper-dancer-performance poet rolls with the pandemic punches. 2020 started off so well. January and February were great months for 27-year-old rapper, dancer, and performance

Read More »

Speak with a local expert now.

Learn more about this recent happening by speaking with an agent.